Back to Results
Associate Chief, Division of Cardiology; Medical Director, VAD Program; Assistant Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine
Department + Services
Medicine, CardioVascular Center, Cardiology
Clinical Focus Areas
Heart failure, cardiac transplantation, ventricular assist devices
Research Focus Areas
Physiology of mechanical circulatory support, cardiorenal interactions in heart failure
Seeing Patients In
Tufts Medical Center
South Building, 6th Floor
800 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-8068
Fax #: 617-636-6030
2010, Teaching Award, Department of Medicine, Tufts Medical Center
2009, Chief Cardiology Fellow, Tufts Medical Center
2004, Excellence in Medicine Award, University of Connecticut School of Medicine
1. Kiernan MS. Patient centered heart failure care: It takes a team to make an early shared decision. Available in American Heart Association Learning Library. http://my.americanheart.org/professional/General/Patient-Centered-Heart-Failure-Care_UCM_436741_Article.jsp#.T1982IG1A9U
2. Kiernan MS, Pham DT, DeNofrio D, Kapur NK. Management of a HeartWare Left Ventricular Assist Device Thrombosis Using Intra-cavitary Thrombolytics. J Thorac Cardiovas Surg 2011;142(3):712-4.
3. Kiernan M, Krishanmurthy B, Kapur NK. Percutaneous Right Ventricular Assist via the Internal Jugular Vein in Cardiogenic Shock Complicating an Acute Inferior Myocardial Infarction. J Invasive Cardiol 2010;22E23-E26.
4. Kiernan MS, Udelson JU, Sarnak M, Konstam MA. Cardiorenal Syndrome: Definition; Prognosis; Pathophysiology. UpToDate 2010.
5. Kiernan MS, Udelson JU, Sarnak M, Konstam MA. Cardiorenal Syndrome: Diagnosis; Management. UpToDate 2010.
Michael S. Kiernan, MD is the Medical Director of the Ventricular Assist Device Program and an Assistant Professor at Tufts University School of Medicine. He specializes in cardiomyopathies, heart failure, cardiac transplantation and ventricular assist devices. His research focus areas include physiology of mechanical circulatory support and cardiorenal interactions in heart failure. He has received numerous awards including the Teaching Award from the Department of Medicine at Tufts Medical Center in 2010 and the Excellence in Medicine Award from the University of Connecticut School of Medicine in 2004. In 2009, Dr. Kiernan was the Chief Cardiology Fellow at Tufts Medical Center. He is a member of the International Society of Heart & Lung Transplantation, Heart Failure Society of America, American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology.
International Society of Heart & Lung Transplantation
Heart Failure Society of America
American Heart Association
American College of Cardiology